What is the William Bishop Society?
The William Bishop Society of the First Presbyterian Church seeks to build the long-term financial resources for the ministry and service of this congregation. The Fund was established in 2009 and is a ministry of the Committee on Planned Giving. Through membership, the William Bishop Society honors those dedicated stewards who have chosen to include First Presbyterian Church in their estate of planned giving.
The William Bishop Society is named for the Reverend Dr. William Bishop, who assumed the responsibility of the first installed pastorate of First Presbyterian Church in November 1858. Following the work of the organizing pastor William Wilson, FPC began to thrive under the leadership of Dr. Bishop, nearly tripling in size. In addition, Dr. Bishop was instrumental in the founding of Kansas University, serving as the President of the Faculty. It is in honor of his service to First Presbyterian Church and Kansas University that this Society takes his name.